Kwara state extends online registration for teaching jobs

Kwara State Government has approved the extension of recruitment application portals for a period of two(2) weeks. The new closing date is 27th January, 2021. This is to allow more eligible applicants to apply.

Consequently, the new date for the qualifying examination is 8th February, 2021.

Successful candidates shall be invited for interview from 22nd February, 2021 to 27th February, 2021(SUBEB APPLICANTS); and 1st March, 2021 to 6th March,2021 (TESCOM APPLICANTS).

NB:

Applicants are encouraged to visit the portals occasionally for useful information.

LUTH worries over increasing severe COVID 19 cases

 

Management of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, on Wednesday raised the alarm over the upsurge of severe cases of COVID-19 new infections in the hospital even as they expressed worry that most of the patients were on oxygen.

The hospital management also urged Nigerians to adhere to the use of none pharmaceutical guidelines, adding that, the second wave of the virus has doubled back and attacking ferociously.

Addressing journalists Wednesday, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Prof Chris Bode said, ”We have seen an upsurge in the number of people who keep treating malaria instead of going for COVID-19 test. Many such then start using all sorts of steam inhalation and home remedies for their cough and chest congestion. It is not helpful to do this, especially if you are also diabetic, hypertensive or with a number of other health baggage. Or above the age of 60.”

He said most patients dying delayed going to the hospital till very late.

Bode, who disclosed that almost all patients at the hospital were on oxygen said, 20 patients at the hospital were on oxygen at the moment and more deaths were being witnessed.

”The present trend is worrisome and if it continues, it may overrun our capacity before we can ramp up again to catch up. So let us hearken the directives given by the authorities.

”This is not to alarm the people but rather to alert us all to what is happening and call on each person to do again what we have done very well before. Every life is precious and we implore Nigerians to do whatever is needed to save our people.”

Bode said in the last 72 hours, there have been been a build up of cases and Nigerians need to observe all the basic rules.

He urged Nigerians to shelve all forms of social engagements, wash their hands, wear facemask, maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet and avoid face to face meetings with others.

Speaking, the Head of the infection unit at LUTH, Dr Iorhen Akase, observed that over the last two weeks there have been deaths of Nigerians in their 20s and 30s due to coronavirus, appealing to Nigerians to begin to protect themselves.

He said as long as new infections continue to occur, the country may not be able to control the pandemic and the situation may overwhelme health facilities across the country.

Akase who said the current situation was worsening the mortality in Nigeria explained that people should stop treating malaria when they have symptoms of COVID-19 and rather go for a PCR test.

He, however, disclosed that through the collaboration of other hospitals, LUTH had been able to discover new variants of the virus in the country, adding that,  new mutation can only be stopped if people adhere to COVID 19 guidelines.On his part, the Chairman, Medical Advisory Committe, CMAC, Professor Wasiu Adeyemo who urged Nigerians to disregard conspiracy theories around COVID-19 recalled that the hospital recorded zero patients between October and November, regretting that the numbers of patients are on the rise.

NLC rejects new electricity hike

THE Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, yesterday said it would use every available means to resist the new increase in the electricity tariff.

The NLC also accused the Federal Government of deceit and insensitivity to the plight of Nigerians at this period the Coronavirus pandemic has caused havoc to the people, adding that if the action of the government was not resisted, exploitation in the country would have no end.

President of the Congress, Comrade Ayuba Wabba, who reacted to the sudden hike in electricity tariff said that it would have a toll on manufacturers in the country which would, in turn, lead to job loss.

He said, “This is not only condemnable but I think there is some element of deceit in it because there is a standing committee of the federal government which the electricity regulatory commission is part of it still working on how to be able to address the issue of electricity hike arising from the last hike which labour intervened.

“Most of the members are not even aware of this current Increase. Basically, we are going to resist it and Nigerians must also stand up to resist it because it’s like exploitation it means that this exploitation will not have an end and when you look at the variable it is even laughable.

“You are looking at the variable of Inflation, and the variable of the exchange rate which is supposed to be part of the responsibility of the government to fix. The Government ought to fix our economy and bring the exchange rate to the lowest level, same with also Inflation and therefore it is transferring inefficiency in our system by the government now to the consumers which the implication will be very severe.

“Most of our manufacturers both small and medium scale will not be able to afford all of this, they have been crying and the implication is that there will be some lay off because people will now resort to importation, most of these small and medium-term enterprises will resort to importation instead of producing here at home.

“It will also affect the diversification policy and certainly it will further impoverish Nigerians especially workers because currently, we are under the yoke of paying excessive charges overall services and this on this very important commodity is the worst.

“It is really unfortunate also because in may climes, the government is subsidising power because of the impact of COVID-19 on businesses, health and impact of COVID-19 in the world of work including African countries.”

Accusing the government of insensitivity, Wabba further said, “We have statistics of countries that have actually assisted to make sure that electricity tariff is even suspended for some time and there have not been any increase.

“But unfortunately, I do not think we have looked at all of these and the implication is that there will be grave consequences if this is not really challenged.

“And very soon, organised labour will try to look at the issue and we respond appropriately, that I will assure you because it has bastardised the work of this very Important committee that we thought social dialogue will be able to bring the solution.

“It is one issue that affects every family, every home, and business. It is a very sensitive issue that the government ought to be very sensitive to. I have said time without numbers that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission,
NERC is hand in glove with the service providers Instead of siding with the customers.

“Even the very important laws that are put in place to guide such arbitrary increase have not been respected. For instance, the customers’ forum which I remember we held in Kano where all of us resisted this particular increase because it has no basis. In fact, part of the work the committee is doing is to look at the price of gas to the generating firms to be able to bring down even the current price before this increase so basically it has certainly also bastardised the process of social dialogue.

COVID19 Second Wave: No Fresh Lockdown, Lai Mohammed Insists

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, on Monday, insisted that the Federal Government has no plan to impose a fresh lockdown on Nigeria as the country battles the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.

Mohammed, who spoke at a conference in Lagos, however, appealed to Nigerians to adhere to all protocols outlined by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

The minister said, “On the issue of lockdown, I don’t think there is any time when the Federal Government has said it is going to have a second lockdown. However, the Federal Government is very unhappy that Nigerians are not adhering to the basic Covid-19 protocols of wearing face masks, or practicising social distancing, of washing hands, of ensuring that they do gather in large numbers.

“If we do not do these, the surge will continue and with the new strain of Covid-19 which is becoming much more difficult to handle than the old strain, the Federal Government will continue to insist and encourage Nigerians to please obey the Covid-19 protocols.

“The Federal Government is aware of the economic and social implications of a second lockdown but we want to call on Nigerians to help us, help themselves and help the economy, by adhering strictly to the Covid-19 protocols.”

The Federal Government had in March 2020 locked down the Federal Capital Territory as well as Lagos and Ogun States for over five weeks as part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 during the first wave of the pandemic. The lockdown had a tremendous effect on economic activities with the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry putting the loss at about N3bn in the period under review.

Many jobs were also lost as airlines, hotels, banks, amongst others cut their workforce due to the crushing effect of the lockdown.

 

Second Wave COVID19: FG considers another lockdown

Another lockdown is likely in Nigeria with the rising COVID-19 cases, the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on the Novel Coronavirus Control has warned.

The ad hoc body working on prevention of the virus is worried that despite the second wave whose effect is deadlier than the first wave, Nigerians have continued to shun the prescribed protocols.

National Coordinator of the PTF, Dr Sani Aliyu, said the only way to prevent a re-introduction of a lockdown is by adhering to the advisories.

Many business concerns and the generality of Nigerians have cautioned against another lockdown because it will hurt the economy that has already slumped into recession.

Business leaders have advised the government to seek other options to control the spread of the virus.

Aliyu, speaking on a television programme on Sunday, said: “If you don’t want a lockdown, the only way is to make sure we use our facemasks, avoid mass gatherings, avoid people who have respiratory tract infections, sanitise our hands and follow those non-pharmaceutical interventions.

“The very vaccines that we currently have are those non-pharmaceutical interventions.

“If numbers continue to go up, all options are on the table. There are countries in the world that have been able to control this pandemic simply by following these non-pharmaceutical interventions. They may be inconvenient, but they will not be as difficult as a lockdown”.

Aliyu said cases were multiplying in recent weeks.

“We are talking holistically here. All I can say is that 33 people died of COVID-19 in the last one week. Are we saying those people died for nothing? We have just recorded 6,000 cases in one week, far more than we ever recorded.

“COVID-19 exists; anybody who says COVID-19 does not exist is probably living in a completely different world. In the last one week, we’ve had a tripling of cases. You can see what’s happening in the United States, you can see what’s happening in the UK.

” I’m sure most of those who have been following the numbers will realise that what we have now far exceeds what we had in June/July last year.

“In week 52, which is the week we’ve just finished, we’ve seen a tripling in weekly number of cases, compared to what we had three weeks ago. The 6,000 cases per week is really huge. Our hospitals are already starting to get overloaded and we are already starting to feel the pressure within the healthcare system.

“So, talking about the projection, the projection really depends on whether people will start taking this very seriously and start following those non-pharmaceutical interventions that we’ve been talking about for the last one year.

“We’ve been able to demonstrate that it’s possible to flatten the curve, but we need the cooperation of everybody, we need the cooperation of the general public, we need the cooperation of the state governments”, he said.

Aliyu said vaccines are expected to be available in Nigeria by the end of January, allaying fears being entertained in some quarters about its safety.

He said the administration of the vaccine would be voluntary, as government would not force anyone to take it.

“The vaccine, together with the non-pharmaceutical interventions, is the only way to get on top of this epidemic and by the way, Nigeria cannot afford to be a pariah nation. I can tell you that in the coming months, as more and more people start taking this vaccine, it will be very clear there’s not going to be an issue with safety.

“If you don’t have the vaccine, you are going to be stuck because I am very certain that countries, internationally in the next six months to a year, will start insisting on a certificate before you get into their country. So, you’ll not be able to go for the Hajj, the Umrah or the Christian pilgrimage, holiday to Dubai, or business trip to China or South Africa, if you do not have the vaccine.

“Hopefully, we should have the first batch of the vaccine in the next four weeks, by the end of January.”

Two weeks after killing UI student, Amotekun officer shoots Police constable

Barely 15 days after allegedly killing a student of University of Ibadan, an officer of the Oyo State Security Network known as Amotekun, Ibrahim Ogundele, has shot a police officer in Oyo town, Oyo State, Southwest Nigeria.

The incident occurred on Saturday when Police officers at Ojongbodu Division in Oyo town responded to calls to stop an ongoing carnival staged by some youths in the town.

Mr Yekini was shot on his left leg at a very close range around 3 pm before he was taken to the General Hospital, Oyo, where he is still receiving treatment. 

Confirming the incident to newsmen, Olugbenga Fadeyi, the Police Public Relations Officer in Oyo State, revealed that the Amotekun officer has been arrested.

“Yes, this happened when the Police personnel at Ojongbodu Division, Oyo were responding to calls to dislodge recalcitrant youths staging a carnival after several warnings that such should not be staged,” Fadeyi said.

“The Amotekun personnel has since been arrested and currently being investigated at Ojongbodu Police station.”

Amotekun officers shot dead Kolade Gbadebo, an undergraduate of the University of Ibadan, who went to eat at Sabo area of Oyo town on Friday, December 18.

Rather than take responsibility, the security network attempted to cover up the incident with lies and threats. 

COVID- 19 2nd Wave: Lagos doctors lament attitude of lagosians

Medical doctors under the auspices of the Medical Guild have decried what it described as ”complacency” among Lagosians on the effects of COVID-19 even though the country was neck-deep in the second wave of the pandemic.

The doctors under the employ of the Lagos State government who also called for restraint on the part of the public urged the authorities of the State government to swing into action and put in place all that is necessary to safeguard the citizens.

In its message tagged: ”New Year Message: A time for Restraint and A Time for Action” the Chairman, Medical Guild, Dr Sodipo Oluwajimi said the use of face masks, social distancing, avoiding large crowds, isolating when sick and presenting to the hospital when symptoms like difficulty in breathing occur must remain in place through our the festive season.

“The first wave of COVID-19 brought with it unforeseen problems characterized by the fear of the unknown and led to a large number of infections, death, economic and social deprivation among all facets of the population including health care workers.

“We were able to emerge from the first wave using a combination of human kindness, innovation, hope given by spiritual fortitude and the application of science.

“The use of personal protective equipment, social distancing, hand washing, improved testing and contact tracing for SARS COV-2 with resilient work by our health care workers and cooperation of the public played a great role in achieving success., ” he said

 

Oluwajimi further reminded Lagosians that the virus in the second wave seems more vicious with several deaths among the elderly and vulnerable including health care workers.

He said the surge in new cases maybe most likely linked to the increasing influx of Nigerians and foreigners from abroad, poor use of social distancing and masks and complacency among the public on the effects of the virus.

“Now more than ever; is the need for restraint on the part of the populace, we must use the lessons learnt during the first wave to defeat this second wave. ”

He called for continuous health promotion, strengthening of border controls, testing and isolation of travellers from foreign countries, expanding testing of contacts and ill persons with prompt result notification, and expanding treatment especially for the vulnerable and ill.

Oluwajimi said the Government must also ensure social benefits for the most vulnerable and affected, while health care workers who bear the brunt of infections should also be prioritised for provision of personal protective equipment, health, and life insurance, and appropriate hazard allowances.

He pledged as members of the Medical Guild, Lagos to provide necessary care for patients and the populace while partnering with Government to have home-made solutions to the COVID-19 pandemic as it affects Nigerians and Lagos in particular.

  1. He added that by working together, the state and Nigeria at large would emerge victorious from the second wave as they did in the first wave. (more…)

Asuu to hold a meeting tomorrow

 

#JUST_IN: FG representatives to meet ASUU leadership tomorrow by 4pm.
Also, ASUU-NEC meeting has been scheduled to hold via zoom this evening.

Kankara kidnap: You are a terrible liar – Buhari’s aide attacks Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau

President Muhammadu Buhari’s Personal Assistant on New Media, Bashir Ahmad, has branded Abubakar Shekau, leader of…

Breaking: Buhari orders immediate reopening of Seme, Maigatari, Ilela, Mfun borders

PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the immediate reopening of four main borders. The President also directed that…

error: Sorry, This Page Has Been Protected, Make Use of Social Media Share Button. Thanks!
Open chat
Thanks for contacting Team Boma Reports.